Ok, the time has come. We are unveiling the secrets of our favorite lunchtime meal, a tomato and bleu cheese soup. If you’ve visited our establishments before, you may have had a chance to delight in this blissful du jour. Now you can make it anytime with the use of this recipe.
Herbed Tomato and Bleu Cheese Soup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 pounds ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 quart of unsalted chicken stock
- 1 pound of mild bleu cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 8 fresh basil leaves, chopped finely
- 1 pinch of salt and pepper to taste
Melt the butter in large heavy saucepan over medium heat-low heat.
Add the onion and garlic.
Cook until translucent.
Add flour, cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes, chicken stock, cheese and tomato puree and basil, mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat.
Simmer for 2 hours or until slightly thickened.