The holidays can be a stressful time. Appeasing family members can become a full time job, if you’re not careful. The kids are hungry, the parents are grumpy, the siblings are judging and everyone is looking to you to be a perfect host.
An easy, healthy way to keep their demands down before the turkey’s unveiling is to fix a special UrbanHerbal holiday appetizer, ceviche on herbed toasts.
Herbed Toasts Recipe
Accompanied by a salad or ceviche, these bread rounds make a delicious appetizer.
- ½ cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 large green onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons URBANherbal Herbs de Provence
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1 loaf French bread, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Beat sour cream, cream cheese, green onion, herbs de provence, garlic and pecans in a small bowl until light and fluffy; set aside.
Place bread slices on baking sheet. Brush with olive oil.
Toast in oven on both sides; cool. Spread generously with cheese mixture.
Broil until cheese and bread are heated through. Just a few minutes.
Garnish with chopped parsley.
Arrange on a large platter with green and red grapes to serve.
Yields 24 servings
This Mexican-style recipe is can be made with with white flesh fish or small bay scallops.
- 2 pounds of fresh white fish such as red snapper or fresh small bay scallops
- 2 cups fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 4 teaspoons URBANherbal Mexican Savory Salts
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, roasted, seeded and minced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
Cut the fish into ½ inch cubes. If using small scallops, leave whole.
Place the fish or scallops in a glass or ceramic bowl.
Add the lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper.
Refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours until the fish or scallops are opaque.
Place the onion into a colander or sieve and put into boiling water for 5 to 10 seconds to blanch. Immediately refresh in cold water.
Add the onions, peppers and cilantro and refrigerate until ready to serve.